Wednesday, November 10, 2021

My First Blog Post Since the Pandemic So Glad to be Back

 

618 days.  According to old friend and St. John’s radio color man Vin Parise, that’s the last time St. John’s played a game at Carnesecca Arena. I read that on my twitter feed and to say it gave me pause as I started to write this was an understatement. I know that prior to the exhibition game against Baruch on October 27th the last time I was at a game of any kind was in February of 2020 to see the Brooklyn Queens Diocesan championship at St. Francis Prep.  Since then, the pandemic has kept us away from people and things we took for granted prior to this terrible tragedy. With this in mind, rather than write about last night’s 119-61 win by St. John’s over Mississippi Valley State I want to say a heartfelt thank you to all of those people who helped me while I was almost completely limited to my apartment. Those include caregivers first and foremost, who made sure I was comfortable and safe. They include family and friends who made sure that in the absence of physical contact I always had company. I want you all to know that every DM, text, phone call and masked personal visit was needed and appreciated. And in particular the talk about basketball, even the transfer portal provided a needed respite not only from the outside world but from loneliness. Last night was about quite a bit more than the result of the ballgame, or even the energy in the arena. It was about reconnecting with old and good friends and smiling just because it’s good to see them. It was about getting a small piece of life back. To all who helped me, thanks for getting me here.

      My plan is to begin writing about St. John’s again as well as about high school basketball. I have posted lots of things on twitter particularly during the CHSAA’s spring tournament. Going to high school games won’t be quite the same because I won’t see Tom Konchalski at games any more. His softly spoken good humor and firm handshake will be with me, and all of us in the basketball community. After 618 days and then some, I’m looking forward to a wonderful and complete season, with fans in the stands, with success for St. John’s, and the ability once again to write and report on the high school players and coaches who are the foundation of New York’s basketball culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment